Blog post #3: MEd review- Rethinking Home-Reading: Supporting Early French Immersion Students and Parents with Meaningful Home Literacy Programs

I am in the beginning stages of narrowing in on my inquiry focus and I catch myself switching back and forth on topics and content. To ease my anxiety and confusion, I decided to research content pertaining to my own educational practice. I am an early year French Immersion teacher and my focus for this class is to find ways and best practices to enhance student vocabulary and oral proficiency in French. French expressive abilities of French Immersion students remain well below proficient levels (Pomper, 2017). This is true in our school, I am finding more students below grade level that continue to struggle in French and in English. Why is that?

In researching this issue, I came across an article written by Megan Pomper, a recent graduate from University of Victoria in Early Childhood Education. Her article, Rethinking Home-Reading: Supporting Early French Immersion Students and Parents with Meaningful Home Literacy Programs, was the perfect starting point in my journey towards enhancing student language ability and proficiency in French.

In Pomperā€™s article, she examined multimodal practices to support literacy development for French Immersion learners and she explores best practices to help support the child at home. She also addressed working with non-French speaking parents who wish to support their child at home with learning French literacy. Her research demonstrated positive impacts using multimodal practices which has provided me with ideas I can start using in my classroom. According to Pomper, allowing children to explore literacy through different mediums and through collaboration supports their language acquisition (Pomper, 2017).

Pomper described three theories that emphasized the benefit of children exploring literacy in various ways.

• Multimodality

According to Pomper, multimodal approach to literacy learning enables students to identify, distinguish and develop the range of modes that are used in communication and meaning-making, including images, drawings, sounds, digital technology and gestures. These mediums are vital in the development of conveying thoughts, meaning, and understanding. Using Multimodal practices empowers Early French Immersion students to manage and overcome their language and literacy struggles (Pomper, 2017).

• The Ecological Systems theory

According to Pomper, the Ecological Systems theory (as cited by Bronfenbrenner, 1979), ā€œinterprets human development from an ecological perspective and argues that development is the product of the interaction between an active, developing child and the many environments in which that child resides. Bronfenbrenner (1979) described these environments as a complex, multi-layered ecosystem, where each system influences and impacts human development in varying degreesā€ (Pomper, 2017).

• Linguistic Interdependence

According to Pomper, (as cited by Cummins, 1979), Linguistic interdependence theory examines the impact of literacy skills in a first language on the development of literacy skills in a second language. This theory suggests that literacy skills in a second language can be positively and directly supported by developed literacy skills in a first language (Pomper 2017). Therefore, parents who are non-French speakers can help support their child, regardless of the language barrier, by using English reading strategies. These skills can be transferred to learning the second language.

According to Pomper, digital tools can also help teachers implement and support more multimodal practices in the classroom. These tools can be used to support home literacy. For example, using an iPad provides an oral record of different texts which students could then refer to while reading independently, or with parents at home. I find this to be a great idea and interactive and engaging for the student. Recording their voice guides their pronunciation and decoding at school and home and helps parents who are non-French speakers (Pomper, 2017). Children who are quiet and reserved in class and do not demonstrate adequate oral proficiency could use a recording device at home to record their own voice in a space where they feel safe and comfortable (Pomper, 2017).

Pomper provided good insight and ideas that I can apply in my classroom. The next tool that I am going to test out in my class is having my students use a voice recording app. Upon research I have found this app that I can install on our classroom iPads.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hd-audio-recorder-voice-memo/id951390217

Here are 13 ways to use a voice recorder in class:

https://www.ef.com/wwen/blog/teacherzone/12548-2/

This website provides 13 ways to use digital voice recording in the classroom.

I feel like Iā€™ve barely made a dent in my research, but I am happy to have chosen an article that can steer me in the right direction and closer to my inquiry of researching the benefits of learning a second language using digital technology!

Photo by stem.T4L on Unsplash

Pomper, M. (2017). Rethinking Home-Reading: Supporting Early French Immersion Students and Parents with Meaningful Home Literacy Programs. Retrieved from https://dspace.library.uvic.ca/bitstream/handle/1828/8019/Pomper_Megan_MEd_2017.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

« »